Aug 15, 2006

Bulimic Belongings

Troika - Exploded Monologues (2003)
Exploded Monologues is a device that spatially transports the origin of the artist's voice to various speakers held at a distances from the mouth. The artist is able to control which speaker outputs his vocalizations, kind of like a personal surround sound system. He is able to obsess over controling the audio he exports to others and the way they experience it... kind of like music blogging.

I enjoy 1) sleek, clean minimalism and 2) postmodernist found-object collage. The symbiosis results in my life fluctuating regularly between accumulating, arranging, and living among large assemblages of deliberately random objects and then desperately purging myself of all of it. My environmental bulimia hits hard in transitional periods such as my current annual move where my belongings are laid out in front of me and I have to deal with consequences of having piles of contrasting boxes filled with mood-distinct comforts. An ideal situation would be to have at least two apartments, each serving as a comfortable respite from the other. However, the reality is that I have no apartment and lots of stuff that makes little sense together and absolutely no sense to anyone but me. So, most of me is currently piled on the curb for collection. In this spirit, feel free to rummage through the following box of electic mp3s and take bits of me that might look good on your mental mantle.

The Scourge of the Sea - Out of the Trash (mp3)

Page France - Junkyard (mp3)

Awry -
Brave Elephant (mp3)

My Brightest Diamond - Something of an End (mp3)

A Shoreline Dream - Love Is A Ghost In America (mp3)

Soulwax - Miserable Girl (mp3)

TV On the Radio - Wolf Like Me (stream)
*This song is from their new upcoming release "Return to Cookie Mountain".

The Lovely Sparrows - Chemicals Change (mp3)

The You - Young Bluesman (mp3)

The Idyllists - Chloe (mp3)

Paul Brill - Paris is On (mp3)

Bridges and Powerlines - Mumbles (mp3)

Final Fantasy - Arctic Circle (mp3)

3 comments

At Tuesday, August 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving the Page France and Idyllists songs!

-frankie chain

 
At Wednesday, August 16, 2006, Blogger Johnny said...

Kyle, you would love my little room/area whatever where I live. It's this huge collection of random things, that do fit together because the whole apartment is that sort of theme. Much of it is the leftover flotsam and jetsam from my grandparents house. I sort of ended up as the catch all so anything that no one really wanted ( but we can't bear to throw away as it was their's). So I have this great collection of 60's-80's things that I have to set out because they amuse me. Like on top of my buffet I have a green glass pitcher from the 50's, a pair of salt and pepper from the 70's, my sister's kindergearten picture from 1988, a replica of a plate from the Titanic ( that I bought in vegas) a dresser scarf my grandmother made, this wood and glass ashtray from the 70's, a picture of the mountain side in Japan from my cousin, and other things that I can't remember right now.

 
At Wednesday, August 16, 2006, Blogger Kyle said...

don't EVER throw that stuff away. i now see why attics are such a hot commodity for the old folks. by the time i am 80 i will have accumulated towns worth of shit. but that will be a town i created full of love and that's how i want to go out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home