Aug 16, 2006

There Is Much More To Being Homeless Than Not Having A Home

assume vivid astro focus - Installation View (2004)

Yes, I am one of you... those with "homes" filled with matching red-and-white striped "leases" and "jobs". Yes, now I'm deserving of "credit". And I finally buy into the popular conception that homelessness as a "bad thing". Pin a conformist purple heart on my shirt and send me to my room for the night. Why the change of heart and the clean set of clothes? Because there is MUCH more to being homeless than not having a home. I concede that sometimes I rely unhealthy on Will Oldham for company, but homeless people are completely supportless. And we should be clear in our semantics that they are not simply between housing situations, they are complexly disenfranchized from traditional support. Perhaps I will one day enjoy the flexibility of a stint of nomadic wanderlust bliss, but I hope I never find myself sleeping in supportlessness.

Superwolf (Will Oldham & Matt Sweeny) - My Home Is The Sea (live) (mp3) [courtesy of the Kwaya Na Kisser from the Moonshine Festival in Laguna Beach, CA on 10/10/04]

Kath Bloom - A Homeless Dream (mp3)

Now that I have a home, I get to fill it with stuff again... since I threw everything out yesterday. This time I want to try the style of Brazilian collage artist "assume vivid astro focus" complete with a giant stretching woman (yes, that is a real room). I honestly do have a bunch of creepy mannequins, but I'm deliberately trying harder to scare my mother less.

4 comments

At Thursday, August 17, 2006, Blogger Jenny said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Thursday, August 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Iota Ct. I am very excited that you are close to me and with a home.

I don't owe you one Iota!

Ha, we can make lots of puns. ;)

 
At Thursday, August 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah, can I have some of your art on loan for four months?

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you've figured that part of your life out.

The band getting press down here right now is Headlights - they're kicking off a tour and coming through both Milwaukee and Madison. Or get your van fixed and come visit me down here.

By the way, did you know you could get embryonic stem cells for a few thousand bucks? The world of scientific resarch is becomming a stranger place. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/17/business/worldbusiness/17stem.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home