Oct 24, 2006

It's Snowing Somewhere... Maybe Someone There Cares.

Elmgreen & Dragset - Somewhere in the World it's Four O'clock; Just a Single Wrong Move: Blocking the View (2004)

After weeks of unethusastically reciprocated "Hello! How are you?"s that only lead to more conversations about the weather, I'm feeling a bit rebellious. So I'm going to post brand-new leaked material while I'm at work. I can't help but feel that I'm not only living within the restrictions of a deliberately-cubed false sense of security, but it's becoming my perspective. Trying to squeeze a blog post in between spreadsheets is my new rebellion, and misinterpreting professional comments as inappropriate ones illicits 40-year-old-woman-cackles of laughter. I've signed to a major label and my lyrics are suddenly docile and my choices erring towards safe. And this is the biggest Courtney Love moment I can muster.

Gwen Stefani - Wind It Up (mp3)

Damien Rice - 9 (full album stream)

Aimee Mann - I'll Be Home For Christmas (mp3)


The Walkmen - Many Rivers to Cross (mp3)

5 comments

At Tuesday, October 24, 2006, Blogger Jenny said...

The dreaded "Surf Control" prohibits me from blogging while at work. Sad, because there were many days that I was struck with the blogging inspiration and unable to apply it.
See you for breakfast in the morning.

 
At Tuesday, October 24, 2006, Blogger Holly said...

Wait a minute, that contest thing was real? Surely you jest.

 
At Wednesday, October 25, 2006, Blogger Kyle said...

I'm all for serious! Wasn't that SO easy? The saracastically anti-corporate free music giveaways will continue too... tell all your friends. You like Shawn Colvin? How about Peter Frampton?

 
At Thursday, October 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not sure how i feel about the gwen stefani song, even though i love her, it just didn't do it for me.

love damien rice, we hear some of his amazing, explosive energy, but too bad there isn't more of it.

 
At Thursday, October 26, 2006, Blogger Kyle said...

I agree that 9 is showing us a glimpse of that raw, energetic damien that hid on the last album... but it still doesn't GO THERE.

There is something about the Sound of Music sample that makes my heart soar...

BUT I am struggling to understand why Gwen, Missy Elliott, MIA, and Fergie are sounding more and more the same everyday. I think I blame Pharrell Williams, the apparent common thread. Instead of being unique pieces of art, every new track seems to be Pharrel-produced or inspired. Pharrel has his hands in the new Gwen album, goes way back producing and being featured on Missy tracks, and MIA recently acknowledged "Oh I know Pharrell, we are friends". Is the current pop music scene just Pharrell (ft everyone else)?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home