Dec 18, 2006

A Linear Collection of 2006 Favourites

Appearing on this list is a better indicator of 1) my financial situation at the time of the album's release, 2) the amount of quality time we've spent together, AND 3) its coincidental relevance to current events in the world and my psyche THAN the overall value of the album. I guarantee albums that don't appear on this list may be "better", and albums that appear may be "worse"... the clash of these dichotomies spark the conversations that make lists meaningful. Because I don't work for a label or have the time to care, I often confuse what was officially released in 2006 and what I enjoyed in 2006... but I've tried my best to stick to 2006 releases. Following are some audio trinkets I've shelved and cherished this year:

Best Albums of 2006
1) Joanna Newsom - Ys (ressurects the entire album concept)
2) The Knife – Silent Shout
3) Hot Chip – The Warning
4) Girl Talk – Night Ripper
5) Sunset Rubdown – Shut Up, I’m Dreaming
6) Beyonce – B’Day
7) Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies (
mp3)
8) Regina Spektor – Begin To Hope
9) Thom Yorke – The Eraser
10) Bonnie Prince Billy – The Letting Go
11) Chad VanGaalen – Skelliconnection
12) Neko Case – Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
13) Damien Rice – 9
14) Shearwater – Palo Santo (
mp3)
15) Muse – Black Holes and Revelations
16) Espers – II
17) Grizzly Bear – Yellow House
18) Final Fantasy – He Poos Clouds
19) Junior Boys – So This Is Goodbye
20) Return to Cookie Mountain – TV On The Radio

I've separated my favourite songs of 2006 into joyously manic and transcendentally depressive lists. There were so many great songs that it's a torture to leave any out, so please comment with your favourites...

Manic Singles of 2006:
Beyonce – Irreplaceable
Girl Talk – Bounce That
Cold War Kids – Hospital Beds (
mp3)
Justin Timberlake – Sexy Back
Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Hot Chip – Over and Over (and Warning too)
We Are Scientists – Nobody Move

Leslie Hall – Mother Gem Lullaby
Condoleeza Check My Posse – The Majestic Twelve

Junior Boys – In the Morning
Pants Yell! – Your Feelings Don’t Show (
mp3)
Tilly and the Wall - Bad Education
Voxtrot - Mothers, Sisters, Daughters and Wives (
mp3)
Man Man - Engrish Bwudd

Depressive Singles of 2006:
Sunset Rubdown – Shut Up I’m Dreaming of Places Where Lovers Have Wings
The Knife – Silent Shout
Caroline – Sunrise
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone – Young Shields
Chris Garneau – Not Nice
Thom Yorke – The Eraser
Track a Tiger – Seashaken Heart
Cat Power – Where Is My Love
Bonnie Prince Billy – The Seedling
Jolie Holland – Springtime Can Kill You
Espers – Moon Occults the Sun
St. Vincernt – Marry Me
Muse – Starlight
Chad VanGaalen – Gubbish
Swan Lake - The Freedom

5 comments

At Tuesday, December 19, 2006, Blogger courtney said...

your love affair with beyonce's music is becoming increasingly less secretive...

 
At Tuesday, December 19, 2006, Blogger Jenny said...

can you burn me these two playlists? You know, for our simultaneous mood swings and because I believe I have a fond memory of you connected to each of those songs. I would personally add the Paper Cranes if it were up to me. Also, I believe your list is lacking in the mash-up department

 
At Wednesday, December 20, 2006, Blogger Kyle said...

Girl Talk and Hot Chip remixes brought mashing to a whole new level this year...

 
At Thursday, December 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting list. surprised that cold war kids and phoenix didn't make top 20 albums. and no mew on singles? wha?????

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to visit Daytrotter and download a bunch of our live versions of tunes by some of the bands on your list. We got a bunch of 'em. The fresh Daytrotter Session going up in a matter of minutes is the Track A Tiger session. Four tunes. All free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home