Dec 6, 2006

White-bred Rap

Brendan Fletcher - Glossolalia (2004)

"Too folksy" is a recent criticism being lobbed at me, but one I pick up and pin to my lapel. Some of the most interesting musical parquetry can be found woven in the unassuming refurbished antique floors under the feet of consumers wrestling to secure products from the flashiest pop-centric displays. I guess that makes me the creepy janitor obsessing with a push broom and glaring at the passerbys who absentmindedly scuffle past with muddy feet.

BUT, I understand that recent selections have been noticeably banjoed, so I've agreed to switch it up this week. Because this may be a shock to regular readers, I'll ease the transition with songs that attempt to bridge prarie folk with the graffitied landmass of rap.

Sage Francis (ft Saul Williams & Will Oldham) -
Sea Lion (mp3): Sage Francis welds a negotiation of solid steel beams by mixing the molten forces of Will Oldham and Saul Williams. It never struck me to dream of hearing these two favourites in harmony, but now the pairing makes perfect sense.

DJ Whitebread (ft Garth Brooks & Outkast) -
Friends In Low Places (mp3): DJ Whitebread mashes a crude suspension of mismatched key signatures. His concepts are fun to an ear that doesn't listen too closely, but the shoddy construction can be terrifying.

DJ Whitebread (ft Merle Haggard & Youngbloodz) -
I Think I'll Just Stay Here & Drink (mp3)

Alela Diane, the new Meg Baird/Helena Espvall/Sharron Kraus songs, and Brian Michael Roff and the Deer will have to wait until next week.

6 comments

At Wednesday, December 06, 2006, Blogger Mike said...

I've heard the name DJ Whitebread pop up occasionally...is he a Milwaukee guy?

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Sage Francis track is class, thanks.

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006, Blogger Jenny said...

DJ Whitebread is no DJ Earworm, that's for certain. Courtney and I both agree.

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006, Blogger Kyle said...

DJ Whitebread is a Lexington, SC guy... exported to all of us by the unfortunate accessibility and ease of remix software.

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Kyle! I've been a reader of your blog for a while now. & thanks for the Sage track.

 
At Thursday, April 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually enjoy criticism... I'm just sorry you guys don't have access to some of the material that I spent some time on. I live a considerable distance from my hometown and by putting these on my site, it allowed me to share these mixes with my friends. Sorry that they didn't meet your highest of standards. The brightside... it gave you a topic for your award-winning blog!

Whitebread

 

Post a Comment

<< Home