Jan 3, 2007

Fuck What You Heard, You Were Lied To (Brought To You By The Letter U & Number 2)

Philip-Lorca diCorcia - Brian (1988)

I feel like Herman Dune's songs could be found collecting dust in my dad's record closet. The album "Giant" seems like a long lost notation from my early musical timeline, right next to Marlo Thomas' Free To Be You And Me. This feeling is potentiated by Dune's beautifully Sesame Streetish video... and that my dad was also a skinny dude with a beard.

Herman Dune - This Will Never Happen (sendspace mp3)

The Islands - Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby (sendspace mp3) [video]: This post-Unicorn piece runs in a similarly juicy vein, bopping about human fragility and picking dandelions. The video could easily piggy back Dune's in an episode brought to you by the Indie Music Community.

3 comments

At Wednesday, January 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish indie rockers would realize that the cello can do more than play long pretty notes underneath gentle acoustic guitar plucking. How boring is that?! I also wish that pop/rock people in general would get actual competent musicians to play the orchestral instruments on their songs so that I don't have to cover my ears in disgust at horrendous flute/oboe/violin playing....Sufjan Stevens, are you listening?

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2007, Blogger Kyle said...

I think that's a formidable challenge for Timm from Giddings to write a dueling cello masterpiece for the next album.

 
At Monday, January 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sucks that the Unicorns broke up. I wonder if Islands perform magic tricks at shows like the unicorns did?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home