May 13, 2007

Declaration of a Killer

Mark Bain - Acoustic Sound Gun (2004)

It was hard to wake up today. Perhaps because I've spent the last five years contributing to the deaths of over 3,000 Americans and 100,000 Iraqis. And some mornings my brain hurts a little more than other mornings. Especially when I awake from dreams where 425 billion dollars is used to creatively construct consciousness and character instead of destruction and terror. After those, it's hard to wake up to the morning news.

It has simultaneously become harder to fall asleep while pondering how to explain to my unborn grandchildren that I was not a supporter of war, even though I financially supported it and didn't take any significant action to stop it. And then I realize I must first find a way to explain this discrepancy to myself. When politicians don't know how to take concrete actions on a subject but want to take a stand, they issue a declaration. So I'll sign onto Bjork's declaration that we should start standing up and making more individual declarations. At least until we can figure out what else to do.

Bjork - Declare Independence (mp3) [From Bjork's new album Voltra]

2 comments

At Tuesday, May 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF o0 say something else

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2007, Blogger Johnny said...

hmm.. so what does the upper comment mean?

Can we stand up and fight like we (used collectively, as in the population of the U.S.) like we used to? We are all so busy working, going to school, etc. We don't have time to say "Hey, this is bullshit." We no longer are willing to give our time to something that though we say will come around, we know has a possibilty to fail. We are afraid to expend our energy for something that may not come about. Yes, we can then say we tried, but for what?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home