Feb 27, 2009

Haunted by Piano Lessons

Jennifer Allora and Guillermo Calzadilla -
Stop, Repair, Prepare: Variations on Ode to Joy for a Prepared Piano

I still have nightmares about piano lessons, sometimes when I'm awake. Though I deeply regret neglecting my skills, there is just something slightly scarring about being forced into lessons as a kid. The nightmares go something like this: I haven't practiced. Again. That's about it, all night long. But the daymares go something like this: I am sitting in a metal folding chair, pulling nervously on a lace from my dress shoe as I'm being introduced for a presentation. As I walk up to the podium, I completely blank on the piano song that I have memorized for the occasion. Except I hadn't memorized a song, I haven't played piano in six years, and this isn't a recital. This is a Power Point presentation on neural cell differentiation or tobacco-related healthcare disparities or how to conduct an in-district meeting with a legislator. I try to catch my breath.

Colin Munroe (ft Joell Ortiz, produced by Black Milk) Piano Lessons (mp3)


2 comments

At Saturday, February 28, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post is less than correct....I distinctly remember you playing piano - right next to me. Polbridge has all the magic in the world.

 
At Tuesday, March 03, 2009, Blogger Jamie said...

lamez.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home