Nov 2, 2009

From the Bottom of a Pile

Rachel Whiteread - Study (2005)

My desk is made of slippery granite, elbows of 90 degree angles, and feet of concrete. I sit here sometimes, in the perfect silence, and empty sheets of paper with an eraser. Whole novels in fact. I find the more words I take out, the more I'm able to say. I sit here, today, to complete 30 pages of narrative. And I accomplish the task with one paragraph. At the top of the page I write: I WANT TO DO SOMETHING IMPORTANT. Indent a heading labeled "Rationale", under which I scrawl: FOR MEANING. I sit here, now, pretending to photocopy my work in triplicate to hand to my boss. She says too without words, always sweetly, thank you. You do such an excellent job.

Arms and Sleepers - Helvetica (mp3)

1 comments

At Thursday, November 12, 2009, Blogger Ry said...

good stuff, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home